Sun and saltwater are two of the best parts of summer. When you are out to enjoy the summer, you keep your head to toe covered with sunscreen and feel super protected but you forget one part that is your hair.
Most of us spend a lot of time and money on expensive hair styling products and treatments, but we forget one of the most essential parts that is protecting hair from the sun and saltwater. Though hair doesn’t burn the same way as skin does in the sun, but still, the sun’s harmful ray damages hair a lot.
If you live in a sunny climate but love enjoying the summer, you just need to know how to protect hair from sun and saltwater so that you can just take some simple measures and keep your hair protected.
Here are 10 tips on how to protect hair from sun and saltwater.
- Cover Your Hair in the Sun: When you expose your hair to the sun, the sun rays tend to strip away the moisture from hair leading to weak and fragile hair. Over sun exposure damages the hair cuticles and fades away the natural hair color. That’s why when you are going out in the sun, cover your hair with a cap or a hat. You can even wear styling scarves so that you will look stylish and keep your hair protected at the same time.
- Apply Protective Hair Products: Before you step outside in the sun, coat your hair with hair protective products. Hair protective products put a shield on the hair cuticles and take the damage from sun rays. That’s why look for a good hair protective spray or serum that suits your hair and apply accordingly.
- Re-Apply Protection: Just like you need to re-apply sunscreen on your skin throughout the day, you need to re-apply hair protection products as well. Throughout the day, hair protection products tend to wear out. That’s why to ensure optimum protection, re-apply the hair product after 4 hours of applying it. Try to choose hair protection products that are easy to apply, such as hair sprays.
- Lock-in Moisture: The reason why sun and saltwater damage hair so much is these pull away the moisture from hair. It leads to dry and weak hair. Dry and frizzy hair are more likely to be damaged and break. That’s why always lock in the moisture in your hair. Use hair serums and oils to keep your hair moisturized and healthy. If your hair gets dry, re-apply them accordingly.
- Wear Protective Hair Styles While Swimming: If you leave your hair open while swimming, hair tends to get tangled and damaged. That’s why wear a protective hairstyle like make a hair braid or put your hair in a bun to keep it well protected. But make sure to leave your hair open when you are done swimming and dry it in the natural air.
- Wet Hair before Swimming: The water in the swimming pool is high in chlorine. This chlorine strips away the natural hair oil and dries out the hair. It leads to hair breakage. But if you wet your hair before getting inside the swimming pool with non-chloride water, your hair won’t absorb much chlorine from the pool water. Just simply go in the shower, drench your hair, and you are good to go to the pool.
- Put Oil in Your Hair: Putting oil in your hair before swimming will put a protective layer on your hair. So that the salt from the water won’t be able to get soaked in your hair and do any harm. Plus, hair oils work as hair foods. Hair oils give hair proper nutrition and lead to healthy and shiny hair. Here are some hair oils that you can use-
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Castor Oil
Choose a hair oil that you like or you can even make a mixture with different types of hair oils. Heat the oil for 1 minute and massage your hair gently with it. Then you are good to go swimming.
- Wash Hair After Swimming: This is the step that you must not avoid at any cost. As the water in the swimming pool has a high amount of chlorine. This chlorine is very harmful to hair. Besides, seawater has a high amount of salt which does the same damage to the hair. That’s why after swimming, wash your hair thoroughly with good hair shampoo, use conditioner to lock-in the moisture and leave your hair to air dry.
- Rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar rinse is an easy and cheap way to clean your hair. Sometimes, even after washing your hair with a shampoo, some chlorines and chemicals remain in the hair. That’s why rinsing off the hair with an apple cider vinegar mixture will wash away the remaining chemical off your hair. To make an apple cider vinegar mixture, mix some apple cider vinegar with water. First, wash your hair with a shampoo and conditioner. Then rinse off your hair using the vinegar mixture. You will notice an instant shine in your hair.
- Apply Hair Masks: If you leave your hair to sun exposure regularly, take some extra care for your hair once in a while. Hair masks are very cheap but do wonders for the hair. If you don’t want to spend money on hair masks, you can even make hair masks at home using natural ingredients. Coconut oil has great repairing and moisturizing properties. You can make a coconut oil mask by boiling it with curry leaves. Or mash some bananas according to your hair length and density, and put it in your hair thoroughly. Keep it for 30minutes to 1 hour, then rinse off with a mild shampoo. You can also use egg, yog,urt, aloe vera gel, honey etc. as hair masks. These do wonder to the hair.
Well, now that you know how to protect hair from sun and saltwater, follow all the steps carefully and have healthy and shiny hair.